Arizona State Basketball improved their record to 7-1 on Wednesday night and are looking for their first 8-1 start in 38 years
The Sun Devils were led by freshman phenom Jahii Carson's 20 points, seven assists and five rebounds.
Carson, who had been fighting an illness the past two games, came out on fire against the Hartford Hawks, hitting four of the first eight points and dishing the assist on the other four.
The Hawks were sharp-shooters from long range, hitting their first three baskets from beyond the arc. They continued their barrage hitting 5-of-9 from three-point territory taking a 24-19 lead.
This was frustrating for the Sun Devils, who were shooting an incredible 73 percent from the field and still trailing by five.
The Sun Devils would recoup and go on a 14-4 run to finish the half on 63 percent shooting and leading only by one, 36-35.
The second half was the Eric Jacobsen show. Having only played five minutes in the first half and scoring three points in that span, the 6'10" center from Hamilton High School in Chandler would go on to have a career night.
Starting center Jordan Bachynski got an early foul, and missed a layup within the first five minutes of the second half. Jacobsen subbed in at 14:50 and never checked back out. He finished with a career-high 16 points, and added six rebounds to his total.
Senior Carrick Felix finished with a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, his second in his career in as many tries. He added three blocks, two steals and two assists to his numbers.
After eight games, here are the updated stats for the Sun Devils.
- Jahii Carson leads all players in:
- Total Points—146
- Points Per Game—18.3 average (Fifth in Conference)
- Assists—43 (Second in Conference)
- Free Throws Made—45 (Second in Conference)
- Minutes Per Game—34.4 average
- Carrick Felix leads all players with:
- Field Goal Percentage—.590 percent (Third in Conference)
- Field Goals Made—49 (Fourth in Conference)
- Three-Point Percentage—.448 percent (Fifth in Conference)
- Total steals—16 (Fifth in Conference)
- Jonathan Gilling leads all players in:
- Total Rebounds—63
- Rebounds Per Game—7.9 average
- Three-Point Shots Made—18 (Third in Conference)
- Jordan Bachynski leads all players in:
- Total Blocks—38 (Second in Nation)
- Blocks Per Game—4.75 average (Second in Nation)
- Evan Gordon leads all players with:
- Free Throw Percentage—.767 percent
The Sun Devils take on the 7-2 Cal State Northridge Matadors. Their two losses were to the UCLA Bruins of the Pac-12, and to Brigham Young out of the West Coast Conference.
The Matadors are coming off a 120-point showing over Vanguard University, a small, Christian university in nearby Costa Mesa that competes in the NAIA.
They currently lead the Big West Conference and average 81.2 points per game, good enough for 15th best in the nation. They are led by sophomore point guard, Stephan Hicks with 18.1 points per game and eight rebounds per game.
Where: Wells Fargo Arena, Tempe, Ariz.
When: Saturday, Dec. 8 at 2 p.m. ET
Watch: Pac-12 Network
Listen: 620-AM in the metro Phoenix area or ASU All Access on the web.
I expect the Sun Devils will start off quickly in this game at home, with great efforts from Jahii Carson. Look for big man Jordan Bachynski to return to previous form.
I foresee another big game for senior Carrick Felix who has been absolutely on fire the past five games—averaging 18.8 points per game and 9.5 rebounds per game. Evan Gordon will continue his hot hand and contribute with double-digit points
Cal State Northridge 64, Arizona State 79
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!