UEFA Open Disciplinary Proceedings on Manchester United After Controversial Loss

Timothy RappFeatured ColumnistMarch 6, 2013

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - MARCH 05:  Manchester United Manager Sir Alex Ferguson encourages the crowd to show their support during the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Second leg match between Manchester United and Real Madrid at Old Trafford on March 5, 2013 in Manchester, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his Manchester United players were livid after Nani was sent off on a red card in the second half of Tuesday's Champions League match against Real Madrid

Now, Ferguson and company may be furious over fines that will likely be heading their way for their behavior after the match.

From Sky Sports:

UEFA have announced that they have opened disciplinary proceedings against Manchester United following Tuesday's contentious loss to Real Madrid.

United may be punished for non-fulfilment of post-match media obligations, Sir Alex Ferguson and his players having failed to give any interviews in the wake of their 2-1 Champions League defeat at Old Trafford.

Ferguson was reportedly furious about the dismissal of Nani, who was controversially red carded in the 56th minute, when United were 1-0 up.

The controversy over the Nani call will undoubtedly be the most memorable moment in this game. United was leading 1-0 when he was sent off, and Real Madrid pounced on the man advantage, scoring two goals and advancing to the Champions League quarterfinals.

Many folks thought the call was too harsh, as it appeared Nani was making a play on the ball. Still, his attempt was reckless and he did have his spikes in the air for his high challenge on Real Madrid's Alvaro Arbeloa.

No matter what you think of the call, however, Ferguson was still required to meet with the media for 20 minutes after the match, according to the Sky Sports report, and failed to do so. Expect him to receive a fine.

United's players also didn't grant any interviews, and many of the players were seen pointing fingers and yelling angrily at the referee after the match.

It's hard to blame the Red Devils and Ferguson for being so angry after the match—the call completely changed the game's momentum—but they are still required to act professionally. They failed to do so, and now at least Ferguson is likely to pay.


Follow TRappaRT on Twitter