Chicago Cubs

Chicago Cubs: Could Wrigley Renovations See a Removal of the Iconic Scoreboard?

CHICAGO, IL - JUNE 27:  (EDITOR'S NOTE: THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO BLACK AND WHITE) The main scoreboard in centerfield is seen after a game between the New York Mets and Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field on June 27, 2012 in Chicago, Illinois.  (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
Scott Halleran/Getty Images
Jason S. PariniCorrespondent IIMarch 20, 2013

Brace yourself Cubs fans.  You might want to make sure you're seated for this one.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported on Tuesday that Alderman Tom Tunney of the 44th Ward suggested to the Cubs that they remove the iconic manual green scoreboard in center field.  Its replacement?  A video board, as large as the Cubs want it to be.

Wrigley Field lies in the heart of the 44th Ward. 

According to the article, Tunney has made this suggestion repeatedly to the Cubs, and is against any sort of signage which would block the views from the rooftops across the street.

The scoreboard is one of the most recognizable and unique aspects of the ballpark, which turns a century old in 2014.  Removing the scoreboard would change the entire look and appeal of the ballpark, and more importantly, eliminate its nostalgia and old-fashioned appearance.

If the scoreboard goes, the name might as well go with it.  Wrigley Field would no longer be Wrigley Field.  Nothing beats walking up the stairs into the main concourse, seeing the field unfold in front of your eyes and looking into dead center at the scoreboard to see which way the wind is blowing.  Now imagine that instead of looking at a beautiful, manual scoreboard, you're looking at a giant television screen.

There are plenty of other options for a video board.  One option would be for the Cubs to install little TVs on the back of each chair.  Another would be to allow fans to watch replays, video and advertisements on their handheld device.

Tunney has a special relationship with the rooftop owners, who reportedly raised over $170,000 for him in campaign funds. 

Talk about a political business.

Although I fervently disagree with the idea, I understand why Tunney is doing this.  Tunney is not a representative of Cubs fans.  Instead, he is a representative of the residents of Wrigleyville and his ward.  By focusing on the well-being of his residents instead of on Cubs Nation, he appears to be doing his job well.  Unfortunately, his solution is not the most practical or widely accepted.

Tunney needs to understand that he doesn't just represent the 3600 block of Sheffield Avenue.  He represents a community.  Although over 10 percent of his funds came from the rooftop owners over a nine-year span, he needs to remember where the other 90 percent came from. 

Now if you will excuse me, I need to write a polite letter to Ald. Tunney.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices