Fresh off a brutal and destructive Money in the Bank pay-per-view event, WWE Smackdown was in Providence, Rhode Island this week. With storylines to develop and contenders to emerge, there wasn't a dull moment on this evening.
So how did it all transpire in Providence?
From the opening match of the evening, we had fireworks. Dolph Ziggler wrestled Jack Swagger and AJ Lee became closer with Big E. Langston. The Usos and The Shield continued their feud, Dean Ambrose got involved and Mark Henry completed his face turn.
Later in the evening, Daniel Bryan took on Wade Barrett, Chris Jericho faced Curtis Axel and Damien Sandow confronted Cody Rhodes. Vickie Guerrero clashed with Teddy Long, a big return was announced and Alberto Del Rio faced Randy Orton.
Note: For those who don't want to know the spoilers, don't read any further.
Spoilers provided by WrestleNewz.com.
- Vickie Guerrero is named as the new general manager of Smackdown.
- Dolph Ziggler defeats Jack Swagger via the Zig Zag.
- AJ Lee and Big E. Langston nearly kiss, but he stops her.
- The Usos vs. The Shield ends in a no contest due to interference from Dean Ambrose. Before the beating can get out of hand, Mark Henry emerges to run Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns off.
- Daniel Bryan defeats Wade Barrett via submission.
- Curtis Axel defeats Chris Jericho. After the match, Ryback assaults Jericho in the middle of the ring.
- Damien Sandow attempts to patch things up with Cody Rhodes, offering him the job of protecting the Money in the Bank briefcase. Rhodes decides to attack Sandow, sending him running from the ring.
- Rob Van Dam defeats Darren Young via pinfall.
- Vickie Guerrero has Teddy Long escorted out of the building.
- Big Show will return to the WWE on next week's Monday Night Raw.
- Randy Orton defeats Alberto Del Rio via the RKO.
What We Can't Wait to See: Alberto Del Rio vs. Randy Orton
This week's edition offered quite a few moments that we're dying to see on this week's edition of Smackdown. From Rob Van Dam's return to Friday nights to the showdown between Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow, we're in for a treat.
In the end, nothing is quite as intriguing as the potential showdown between Alberto Del Rio and Randy Orton.
Orton is mere days removed from winning the Money in the Bank match that guarantees him a shot at the WWE championship. Del Rio, meanwhile, defeated Dolph Ziggler via disqualification to retain the World Heavyweight championship.
Both men had momentum, each is firmly in the realm of the elite and neither could be accused of putting forth lackluster performances. In the main event, we learned just which man has a stronger head of steam, as Orton picked up a clean victory over Del Rio.
How they'll make that work is unclear.
Other intriguing matches are Daniel Bryan against Wade Barrett and Dolph Ziggler battling Jack Swagger. All but Ziggler took part in the Money in the Bank matches, with The Show-Off losing to Del Rio in a world title match and then losing his girlfriend, AJ Lee, on Monday Night Raw.
Still, Ziggler's spirits couldn't be broken.
With RVD returning to the ring, The Shield making an appearance and Bryan continuing his hot streak, there will be no moment to pause come Smackdown. Instead, we'll be left wondering just one thing after this event.
Why do we have to wait so long for SummerSlam?