Manchester City Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of December 30
The festive programme of fixtures has proved that Manchester City do have different ways of winning.
From consistently annihilating teams at home earlier on in this campaign, City ground out two home wins over Liverpool and Crystal Palace, opponents who went about their business in different ways, before beating Swansea 3-2 at the Liberty Stadium on New Year's Day.
Now we've entered January though, how will Manuel Pellegrini play things in the transfer market as he seeks to set the pace at the top of the Premier League?
Here we'll be keeping track of all the latest City transfer news and rumours this week, as one year ends and another begins, bringing with it the opening of the transfer window.
Make sure to check back throughout the week for the latest City news.
Last updated Saturday January 4
Lescott Heading to Turkey?
With the return of Matija Nastasic from injury, Joleon Lescott's place in City's plans has come even more under threat.
The Daily Mail have linked the former Everton defender with a surprise move to Turkish giants Besiktas, but as the defender's contract runs out in the summer he is said to prefer a switch to another English club.
Iheanacho Move Off?
Talksport came up with a surprise for City fans on New Year's Day, with the news that their club have apparently missed out on 17-year-old target Kelechi Iheanacho.
Manuel Pellegrini was thought to have secured the signing of the youngster who shone in the recent Under-17 World Cup, and who we've profiled in distance here, but the radio station now believes that the midfielder is set for a move to Sporting Lisbon.
City and Others Quoted £45m for Musacchio
Despite Pellegrini's insistence, City continue to be linked with players from across the globe, with the club credited in having an interest in Villarreal's Argentinean defender Mateo Musacchio.
However, with Sky Sports reporting that the Yellow Submarines won't allow the 23-year-old to leave for less than his buyout clause of 50m euros (£45m), the likes of City, Chelsea, Barcelona and Napoli might be forced to look elsewhere.
Guidetti Set for Wigan Loan Move?
Big things have often been expected of John Guidetti at Manchester City, but the 21-year-old continues to see his route to a first-team berth blocked by older and more expensive players.
Guidetti enjoyed a fruitful loan spell at Feyenoord in 2011/12 before injury and illness curtailed his progress, but now he could be set for a loan switch to Championship side Wigan Atheltic according to the Daily Mirror.
The Latics are now managed by former City boss Uwe Rosler, and short trip to the DW Stadium could be good for the young Swedish forward.
Pellegrini: Dzeko and Rodwell Staying Put
Despite the mounting claims that Dzeko is set for an January exit, Manuel Pellegrini has again stated that this isn't the case.
The Chilean boss told The Independent:
There was never any chance of Dzeko going in January. He is a very important player for the team.
If you look at the last month I think Dzeko was one of the players that played the most minutes in December.
He has continued to a very important player for us.
Always a player wants to play every game but it is impossible with the amount of games that we have to play.
I think he is happy here. He is an important striker and could have a lot of offers from other clubs but there is never a chance of him leaving.
When pressed on the possibility that Jack Rodwell could leave the club in January in order to get some much-needed first-team action, Pellegrini added:
I think all the players in the squad at the moment, it is because we need them. I need all the players.
For the moment, we are not talking about that [signing or selling anyone] but we are always analysing what we need and what we don't need.
The possibility of the transfer window is there for every club. We will see what we are going to do in the next days.
Aguero's Father Dismisses Barca Links
The New Year brings with it the titanic prospect of the Champions League clash between City and Barcelona, with Sergio Aguero set to go up against his good friend Lionel Messi.
Aguero has been linked with a move to Barca in the past, per the Daily Mail. However, the player's father recently told Mundo Deportivo that he doesn't feel it will happen, despite the fact he'd like to see his son play with Messi.
Aguero senior, Leonel del Castillo, is also predicting a 2-1 aggregate win for City in the Champions League clash. Per Mundo Deportivo via Goal.com:
I wish Sergio to score but the main thing is Manchester City win. Barça's players are all great but they should be careful of City's ones, as they are very good as well.
They are hungry and they need to rule Barcelona out of Champions League if they want to keep winning titles.
A Milan Tug of War for Dzeko?
Despite starting and scoring City's winner against Crystal Palace on Saturday, the rumours surrounding Edin Dzeko's proposed departure continue unabashed.
According to Tuttosport via Football Italia, the Bosnian's next destination could well be the San Siro. Both AC Milan and Inter Milan are believed to be battling for the services of the player, who will be keen to get as much first-team football as possible ahead of his country's historic first ever World Cup appearance in the summer.
The source also cites a good working relationship between Milan's Adriano Galliani and Dzeko's camp.
Lescott Looking Certain to Leave
It now looks to be a case of when, rather than if Joleon Lescott will leave Manchester City this January.
According to the Daily Mail, clubs are queuing up to sign the sometime England defender who needs a move in order to be in contention for a place in the World Cup squad in the summer.
With his contract running out this year, a loan move ahead of a free transfer switch at the end of the season now looks to be the most likely outcome, and although new Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood has played down reports that his club are set to swoop for the former Everton man (Sky Sports), a switch to either Spurs or Newcastle looks the most probable.