Fabio Coentrao Transfer Rumours: Latest News on the Real Madrid Star
Fabio Coentrao's name was a regular fixture in the summer's transfer talk, and in January, things are no different.
The left-back has featured very little for Carlo Ancelotti's team this season—his time on the pitch limited to just 282 minutes in La Liga.
Will Coentrao get his rumoured move to the Premier League this month or will he stay at the Bernabeu to battle for his place with Real Madrid?
We'll be monitoring all the gossip right here, so keep checking back for details.
If you'd like to see a full timeline of events regarding Coentrao's transfer situation, please click here.
—LAST UPDATE: Saturday, January 18—
Ancelotti: 'Coentrao Important to Madrid'
The Bernabeu boss spoke out after Wednesday’s Copa del Rey match against Osasuna, in which the left-back received a red card in the 85th minute for kicking out at Roberto Torres.
It was the first time Coentrao had appeared for Los Blancos since November 2, yet Ancelotti defended his actions in a post-match press conference.
As seen on Realmadrid.com, he said:
It was an unlucky sending off.
He played very well offensively and defensively. He is really focused and is important for us. He did not make mistakes after a long time without playing. We have to value how he played.
Coentrao Keen to Renew Man Utd Loan Deal
The report suggests that agent Jorge Mendes has told David Moyes that the Portuguese defender is "extremely keen" to revisit the plans he had to move to Old Trafford over the summer.
Moyes is also said to be in continuing talks with Real Madrid to get the player for the rest of the 2013/14 season.
Last time United tried to sign Coentrao, a move failed to materialise on deadline day. The 25-year-old was said to be "in tears" when the transfer broke down, as reported by Ben Jefferson in the Express.
Mendes is the super agent behind several high-profile comings and goings at United—including the signings of Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson.
Coentrao: On the Move This Week?
The Telegraph's Burt expanded on rumours linking Coentrao to Manchester United, when he spoke to Sunday Supplement at the weekend.
When asked about speculation linking the left-back to United, Burt said (via Sky Sports):
I think Mendes is trying to make that deal happen. Real Madrid are saying they're not going to let anyone go. United aren't 100 per cent sold on Coentrao but I think it's a deal that's easier to do than some of the other ones.
They'll feel the pressure to do something this January. It has been on and it has been off and I think it is back on again now.
I think that Coentrao is very keen to make it happen himself and there's the possibility that something might happen this week with it.
These comments came after Ancelotti stated earlier in the week that there would be no ins or outs at the Bernabeu in January.
When the Madrid boss was asked about the potential departures of Coentrao and teammate Angel Di Maria, he told Sky Sports, "I've not spoken with them because there's nothing. No-one is leaving and no-one is coming in. We have a good squad. We don't need anything."