Chelsea Transfer News and Rumours: Week of March 3
Chelsea opened the gap over their title rivals this weekend with a 3-1 win over Fulham. Their first-half performance left Jose Mourinho speechless, per ESPN, and it is clear that he believes there are still a lot of changes that need to be made to his squad in the summer.
Click through for the latest rumoured ins and outs at Stamford Bridge when the summer transfer window opens.
---UPDATED SATURDAY MARCH 8---
Fernando Torres to Inter Milan?
Mario Balotelli a Transfer Target
Sky Sports have reported that Jose MOurinho is refucing to rule out a summer move for Balotelli. The striker has said in the past that he would liek to work for MOurinho again after their time at Inter Milan.
Barcelona Back in for David Luiz
After Carlos Puyol's announcement that he will leave Barcelona at the end of the season (per the BBC), The Metro are reporting that the Catalan club are looking to Chelsea for his replacement. Barca have had two bids knocked back for Luiz in the past but are hopeful they will be able to convince the Blues to sell this summer.
Branislav Ivanovic Brushes off PSG Link
Sky Sports have reported that Branislav Ivanovic has no intention of leaving Chelsea for Paris Saint-Germain in the summer. The right-back had been linked with the Ligue 1 leaders by the Daily Mail earlier this week but moved swifty to quash the rumours, telling reporters:
I can say this is the happiest I have been at Chelsea because, at the moment, the team is doing well and things are going right for us. We have improved as a team since the beginning of the season, it looks like we are a very strong team but we have the potential to make and build an amazing team.
Edinson Cavani Warned off Chelsea
Andre Schurrle Not the Striker Solution
Despite his hattrick heroics at the weekend, The Independent have reported that Jose Mourinho does not see Andre Schurrle as a long-term solution to Chelsea's striker struggles. The Special One said "He is a cold-blooded finisher, with good finishing technique, but he is not a striker."
John Obi Mikel Set to Leave Stamford Bridge?
John Obi Mikel could call time on his eight-year spell at Stamford Bridge this summer, according to Football Direct News (h/t BBC Sport). The midfielder has only started 12 games this season and has fallen further down the pecking order with the return of Nemanja Matic.
Samuel Eto'o Back to Inter Milan
After a video of Jose Mourinho mocking Chelsea's strikers emerged last week, per The Telegraph, Samuel Eto'o is reportedly considering his options when his Stamford Bridge contract expires this summer.