With the NBA Draft upcoming, the Blazers are speculating who to grab as the 24th pick in the 2009 Draft. The question is, who will they get?
Speculation going around is that Portland is going for a solid point guard. Steve Blake is the current starting PG for the Blazers, but he obviously does not have what it takes to start in the NBA. He is more of a role-player.
I also think the Blazers will be going after a point guard. They have what looks to be a solid front line with LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, and Greg Oden.
So, basically, the main piece missing to the starting five is a good PG. Nothing un-fixable, is it?
Cal's Bottom Three Picks For The Blazers
1. Darren Collison PG, UCLA - Collison is a defensive-oriented guard, which may be what Portland wants. But, he turns the ball over too much on the offensive side of the ball, so he would hurt more then help Portland.
2. DeJaun Blair PF, Pitt - I see Blair fall back to the Blazers because of the worries about his knee. He is a good scorer, but injuries will come into play in upcoming years. A knee injury does not just go away. It takes a long time to cure.
3. Patrick Mills PG, St. Mary's - Mills adds a good backcourt to any team he comes to, and is very speedy. But, he does not have the skills needed to be a starter right away. I do not see him having much effect in the NBA for at least a few years, which is not what the Blazers need.
Portland is really looking for a good guard who can effect games right off the start. To get that, they will need a better pick than 24 in the draft.
Cal's Top Three Picks For The Blazers
1. Ty Lawson PG, North Carolina - Lawson had an amazing March coming off his almost season-long injury. Lawson throws assists everywhere, which the Blazers have been looking for since losing Jarrett Jack.
2. Jeff Teague PG, Wake Forest - Teague is a top-10 caliber guard. But because of the amount of PGs in the draft, I see him falling to as far as maybe 19. He is a very skilled player and would be a good fit with Portland.
3. Jrue Holiday PG, UCLA - Most likely going in the top 10, Holiday is a match for the Portland offense. But I don't see him falling far enough for the Blazers to grab him, which is why he is No. 3 on my list.
I think the Blazers will trade up for a better pick, insuring the chance of taking Ty Lawson. I believe the trade will include Rudy Fernandez, the young guard out of Spain. There has been talk of Portland trading Rudy for a while now, so I see this the right time.
There is little-to-no need for Rudy right now on this Blazers roster, when he would be very much wanted on teams looking for some depth for their roster.
At the end of the day, I see the Blazers coming away with a great draft and several bright prospects. If the Blazers manage to get away with a Jeff Teague or a Ty Lawson, there is nothing for them to be unhappy about.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!