KFFL participates in various weekly question columns, and with the regular season over it’s never too early to look towards next season. One of the questions posed to us this week asked about which player we feel will be underrated in fantasy drafts next season. It’s a tough question this early, but to be honest, no one can tell this early because there will be offseason movement by players, head coaches, and offensive coordinators, not to mention the NFL Draft .
This year, I pushed the following players as underrated:
- Average Draft Position (ADP) = 63.67, Cincinnati Bengals RB Cedric Benson
- ADP = 192.67, Minnesota Vikings WR Sidney Rice
- ADP = 208.67, New Orleans Saints WR Robert Meachem
- ADP = 126.17, Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Cadillac Williams
I was happy with those players on my roster as they helped lead me, as a KFFL representative, to three playoff games in four leagues, two championship games and one championship. On a personal note, some of them also helped me to an overall top-10 finish in a $100K high-stakes league. My point is simple—these underrated players, if taken late, are the difference-makers that can propel you to fantasy championships!
Looking at next year, I think the following players may be a bit undervalued:
- San Francisco 49ers Alex D. Smith , if head coach Mike Singletary allows a spread offense; however, I think that’s unlikely. Still, keep an eye on him.
- Buffalo Bills RBs Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are two candidates in new head coach Chan Gailey ’s offense, one that has always featured a strong rushing attack to set up a creative passing game.
- Oakland Raiders RB Darren McFadden , if the team moves in a different direction with their quarterback. If not, don’t even consider him.
- Arizona Cardinals WRs Early Doucet and Steve Breaston will be in line to try to replace Anquan Boldin if Boldin is traded in the offseason. The team proved it could win without him, and Doucet looked damn good at times this season.
- Washington Redskins TE Fred Davis or Chris Cooley could make a huge fantasy improvement as both are the best tight ends new head coach Mike Shanahan has had since Shannon Sharpe retired. However, which tight end is the question!
- Jacksonville Jaguars TE Zach X. Miller is someone to keep an eye on. Like New England Patriots WR Julian Edelman , he’s a former quarterback who is athletic. The team believes he can be an outstanding pass-receiving tight end in the Dallas Clark mold.
Before anyone holds me to this list, it’s purely speculative, but based on over a dozen years of experience. I expect some players to remain and others to fall out for the reason given earlier. It’s way too early to put much stock into this, but it is fun to speculate on.
What are your thoughts?
Don’t forget, I’m a “Tweeter ” and post what’s happening in a breaking or timely manner. I also point you to solid links that can help out as we approach the fantasy football offseason and the fantasy baseball season. Follow me at http://twitter.com/wdelpilar .
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!