So you’ve done your research, and you are about to join a fantasy league…
…NOT SO FAST!
Did you give your fantasy team’s name any thought? Statistics show that four out of five fantasy teams with boring names end up losing.
(Note: That statistic was made up)
You want to engrave into your league’s mind who is constantly winning in the league by using a memorable team name. I’m currently losing my fantasy basketball league (hey it happens), but I couldn’t tell you who is winning it right now because all the names are something like “joe’s team” or “kobelakersrule”
When creating a team name, try to follow these guidelines:
- If you are in a league with friends, you can use team names that poke fun at them. Try not to be too offensive unless you know your league mates won’t mind.
- Maybe use a real player’s name to create a pun. My favorite one is “I’m Upton No Good”
- When returning to a league as the champion, sometimes it is appropriate to keep your old team name to remind people who won last year.
Use these guidelines to avoid boring, lame, and unoriginal team names:
- Keep real sport team names out of the picture, like “Yankees Fan”. We can tell you like the Yankees by the bumper sticker on your car.
- Stay away from 14-year-old-girl-syndrome (***~~~tEaM nAmEs LiKe tHis!~~~***)
- Try not to be too obscene and offensive with the name. There are other people in the league too ya know.
Here are a few funny fantasy team names if you are having trouble thinking of your own:
|Bloodbath and Beyond||The Sons of Pitches|
|Good Morneau America||Nomar Mr. Nice Guy|
|Show Me Your Tatis||Tatis One Uggla Face|
|No Tengo Pineiro||Honey Nut Ichiros|
|Jeters Never Prosper||Scared Hitless|
|The Morneau After Pill||Umpire State of Mind|
|Winnie the Pujols||Saved By The Bell|
|Blanks on a Plane||My Pujols is Soria|
|Throw Johans Up||My Pujols Byrnes|
Since fantasy drafts are coming up soon, take a look at Rustyn’s first pick strategy here.
Some more quality advice about auction leagues can be found here.
Also, if you have some really funny or awesome team names, post them in the comments!
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!