We all know the story about Sam McGuffie, right? No?
Well, I will give you a quick refresher course..........
- YouTube star in high school for his athletic (jumping) running ability.
- Ranked as one of the top athletes in the 2008 class.
- Committed to Michigan and Lloyd Carr.
- Keeps his commitment to Michigan after RR was hired.
- Visits CAL the last weekend before signing day.
- On signing day, doesn't go to school, locks himself in his house, turns off his phone, and doesn't send in his LOI to Michigan until late afternoon, causing a huge Internet storm.
- Starts for Michigan in his first game.
- Has his best game of the year against Notre Dame.
- Doesn't break too many tackles during Big 10 conference play.
- Suffers 2-3 concussions in the last handful of games.
- Transfers to Rice due to family reasons.
- Sits out 2009.
That pretty much covers the background, and now Sam is eligible to play for Rice and just tore up the Rice Spring Game. Here is a good article on Sam from Andy Staples at SI.com.
What Andy fails to mention in this article is, should Sam be playing football at all?
Getting three concussions in one year is very serious.
Sitting out a year I'm sure helps, but what happens if he gets one or two concussions next year?
His close family that Andy talks about in the article should step in and ask him to turn in his football helmet for good.
Don't get me wrong, I hope nothing but success for Sam, but if he was my son, I would be very worried about his next hit. Very worried, indeed.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!