Ole Miss Loses Home Opener to FCS Division 1 Jacksonville State

Steven IlesContributor ISeptember 4, 2010

ATLANTA - AUGUST 28:  Head coach Jack Crowe of the Jacksonville State Gamecocks watches the scoreboard during the game against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field on August 28, 2008 in Atlanta, Georgia.  The Yellow Jackets beat the Gamecocks 41-14.  (Photo by Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images)
Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images

Ole Miss Rebels lose their home opener in a dramatic double overtime finish. Rebels players, coaches, and fans were stunned of their 49-48 loss to Division1 Football Championship Series Jacksonville State University Gamecocks Saturday.The Rebels won the coin toss and elected to receive.

On the Rebels first offensive series they were able to move the ball 57 yards in 3 plays for a Melvin Harris 41-yard touchdown pass from Nathan Stanley, with a Bryson Rose pat kick to give the Rebels a 7-0 lead with 13:38 left in the opening quarter.

After holding the Gamecocks to a three-and-out, -3-yard series the Rebels went 5 plays and 56-yards for a Jesse Grandy 31-yard touchdown pass from Stanley, with Rose pat kick to give the Rebels a 14-0 lead with 9:25 left in the opening quarter.

Again, after a 6 play 18-yard series the Gamecoks went three-and-out. On the Rebels next posession Gamecock Rodney Garrott forced a Stanley fumble, which was recovered by JaxSt Jamison Wadley for a 15-yard touchdown run, with a James Esco pat kick bringing the opening quarter to a close with the Rebels Leading 14-7.

On the Rebels first posession of the 2nd quarter they were able to go 52-yards in 9 plays for a 24-yard field goal by Rose to give the Rebels a 17-7 lead with 13:01 left in the 2nd quarter. The Gamecocks fired back with a 45-yard field goal of their own by Esco bringing the Gamecoks within a touchdown Rebels 17-10 with 9:01 left in the 1st half.

The Rebels fired back with some finess of their own going 4 plays 73-yards in 1:56  to a nice 18-yard pass from Stanley to Markeith Summers for Stanley's third touchdown of the 1st half, followed by another Rose pat kick now giving the Rebels a two touchdown lead 24-10 with 7:00 left in the 1st half. 

Again, the Gamecoks went three-and-out, setting the Rebels up for another 10 play 1-yard touchdown run by Enrique Davis, with a Rose pat giving the Rebels the lead 31-10 with 0:29 left in the first half.

For the most part the third quarter was pretty quite, the only score on the board came from the Gamecoks with a 44-yard field goal by Esco with 5:07 left in the quarter Rebels still leading 31-13.

The fourth quarter is when the Gamecocks came to life out scoring the Rebels 21-3. The Gamecocks had 1 rushing toucdown for 2-yards by Calvin Middleton Rebels 31-20. They had 2 passing touchdowns first was a 4-yard pass from Coty Blanchard to James Shaw Rebels 31 -26. The Rebels only points came from a Rose 35-yard field goal giving the Rebels a 34-26 lead. The Gamecoks final passing touchdown came with 18 ticks left on the clock, with a 19-yard pass from Marques Ivory to Alan Bonner bringing the Gamecocks within 2 Rebels 34-32. Already the under dogs, they had to go for 2 to send it overtime, this attempt was successful with a pass from Ivory to Laray Williams to tie the game 34-34 sending it into overtime.

The Gamecoks got on the board first with a 7-yard pass from Ivory to bonner, and a Esco pat giving the Gamecoks their first lead 41-34. The Rebels would answer with a  2-yard touchdown run of their own, and a Rose pat tying the game 41-41 sending it into a second overtime.

The Rebels would get on the boards irst in the 2nd overtime, with a 2-yard Enrique Davis run, followed by a Rose pat giving the Rebels a brief 48-41 lead. The Gamecoks again answered with a 30-yard pass from Blanchard to Kevin Cooper, putting the Gamecoks within 1. Gamecocks coah Jack Crowe decided to "go big or go home" with a gutsy 2-point-conversion, which subsequently was good with a Blanchard pass the Middleton upsetting Ole Miss 49-48.