Michael Vick Concussion: Eagles QB in Recovery and Still Sidelined

Will LeivenbergFeatured ColumnistSeptember 20, 2011

ATLANTA, GA - SEPTEMBER 18:  Michael Vick #7 of the Philadelphia Eagles is helped off the field after being injured in the third quarter against the Atlanta Falcons at Georgia Dome on September 18, 2011 in Atlanta, Georgia.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Michael Vick’s injury and subsequent concussion wasn’t exactly the type of bold statement he hoped to make in his return to the Georgia Dome against his former team, the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday night.

The Eagles-Falcons matchup had been highly debated since the season schedule initially came out.

Vick was returning to the team he’d brought to prominence in the NFL, in the place he’d developed and displayed his skills, and among the fans who’d been his loyal supporters for six seasons.

There was hype, there was history—and then, in an instant, there was a hush. The exhilaration brimming throughout the stadium turned to distress with unfortunate urgency.

After getting the Eagles on the board with a couple of touchdowns, Vick looked in control early on in the battle.

However, after a Falcons rusher knocked Vick off-balance, he was whirled into his own teammate, Eagles lineman Todd Herreman. The impact was immediate and violent, causing Vick to plunge to the ground.

Running into Herreman—a 6’6", 320-pounder—must have been like slamming into a brick wall. It was obvious that Vick could not shake off the collision, as he needed to be helped off the field.

Just when you thought Vick might regain his strength to walk on his own to the sideline, his legs began to wane, his head hung low, and then he spit up noticeable amounts of blood.

Vince Young’s hamstring injury had him sidelined, so in came Mike Kafka, the Eagles' third-string QB who's been in the league for two years after being drafted out of Northwestern.

Unfortunately for Kafka and the rest of the Eagles, Vick’s injury kept him off the field the rest of the game. The night ended dismally in a 35-31 Falcons victory.

It was, in all seriousness, a scary injury. Vick looked befuddled and even lost at times after the collision.

The only sign of life we really got from Vick was when he headed in the direction of the Eagles locker room and he pointed to the scoreboard—a point at which the lead was still in the Eagles' hands.

At this point, Vick’s condition is contingent upon the variety of tests he will take throughout the week. Whether or not he will be available for Week 3 has yet to be determined, but it would seem that Kafka will continue to fill in for the recovering Vick.